The fire district borders Liberty on the North, Kansas City, Independence and Sugar Creek on the West, Central Jackson County FPD and Sni Valley FPD on the South and Wellington-Napoleon FPD on the East. The fire district is proud to have mutual aid agreements with each of these in an effort to support each other during high call volumes.
Coverage is provided out of three facilities: Station 1/Headquarters in Buckner, Station 2 at Blue Mills and Koger Road and Station 3 in Salem East Subdivision. Station 1 & 3 are staffed 24 hours a day, while Station 2 is utilized as a satellite station and training.
The district is staffed with 30 personnel that are crossed trained in fire protection and emergency medical services as either an emergency medical technician or paramedic operating three (3)engine companies, three (3) ambulances, ladder truck, tankers and brush rigs.
As legend has it, a combination city hall, jail and fire station were constructed in 1931 on Washington.
During World War II an active civil defense unit was organized for the war time effort and fire protection became one of the tasks of the civil defense unit. During this period, the first piece of fire apparatus capable of pumping water was placed into service.
In 1953, a large, two-story dwelling was destroyed by fire. The fire was of too great a magnitude for the chemical wagon to have an appreciable effect on fire extinguishment. This was the principal factor that brought about the formation of the Buckner Volunteer Fire Department. Approximately twenty men of the community met and organized the fire department. The fire department rented its own building on West Washington Street. Arnold (Reddy) Dyer was elected Fire Chief from 1954-1956 and from 1956-1959 Maurice O’Dell was the Fire Chief.
During the early 1960’s, it became apparent that the fire department could not progress effectively with the type of funding that existed. A committee was appointed to investigate the feasibility of forming a fire protection district. The Osage Fire Protection District was formed in November 1963. This area was approximately 110 square miles and was protected from one station in Buckner. On March 12, 1967, an open house was held to dedicate the new Fire Station at 319 S. Central. From 1959-1962 Duane Jones was the Fire Chief, and from 1962-1968 Paul Gibson was the Fire Chief. E.H. Bob Baldus became the Fire Chief in 1968. At this time there were twenty fireman and four pieces of equipment, including a 1942 Buffalo pumper.
In 1970, the Junior Fireman Organization was formed. This organization was to train younger people for future fire service work. In November of 1970, the first ambulance was received and put into operation with twenty-seven trained firemen. In 1974, the first Chief’s car was purchased. It was a Ford Station Wagon. In 1975, an additional Fire Station was added in Sibley. In 1978 a 65-foot aerial ladder was purchased. This was the first piece of ladder equipment other than ground ladders for the Fire District. Fire Chief E.H. Bob Baldus retired in 1973 and Neal Smith was appointed Fire Chief from 1973-1978. Jack Snead was appointed Fire Chief in 1978.
1980 was a busy year with a complete re-organization of the Fire District to a new one, known as the Fort Osage Fire Protection District. This was accomplished by the merging of the Salem Fire District and the Osage Fire District and the addition of the Atherton area. Fire Chief Jack Snead resigned in 1981. Richard Lehmann was appointed Fire Chief from 1981-1982. In February of 1982 the first full-time employee was hired. By the end of 1982, the Fort Osage Fire Protection District had three Fire Stations, thirteen pieces of equipment, and seventy firefighters as volunteers for the District. In 1987, the Tri-District Haz-Mat response program was started, including three districts: Sni-Valley, Central Jackson County, and Fort Osage Fire Protection District. Robert Pottberg was appointed Fire Chief in 1982.
In 1990, discussion began on the development of a central dispatch center for Central Jackson County Fire Protection District, Sni-Valley Fire Protection District, and Fort Osage Fire Protection District. In 1991 progress was made on a central dispatch with the Blue Springs Police Department This central dispatch started in July, and all emergency calls started going through 911. In effort to attract more volunteers to emergency calls, a paid on-call status was developed. Chief Pottberg completed 25 years of service in 1993 and the Board of Directors established a scholarship in his name. In 1997 the new Station 3 was built. In 1999 extra staff was put on shift for possible Y2K problems this New Year’s Eve. No difficulties were encountered.
In January of 2002, Chief Pottberg resigned and Greg Pottberg was promoted to Fire Chief. In December 2005, the new Station 1 began construction at 400 E Monroe and on January 26, 2006 personnel was moved to new Station. The station at 319 South Central was closed after 38 years, 9 months and 16 days of occupancy by the Fort Osage Fire Protection District.
In March of 2010 Fire Chief Pottberg announced his official resignation after 40 years of service with the District. A special Board Meeting was held and the Board approved John Yocum to be promoted to Fire Chief. In November of 2013, the District celebrated 50 years of service. During the month of June, 2019, part of the District in and directly around Levasy, Missouri, was affected by historic and catastrophic flooding. Station 1 in Buckner was used as an on-site hosting place for FEMA agencies sent in to provide relief aid to those affected by the flooding.
In Mid-March, Jackson County, along with the State of Missouri and the rest of the Nation, was placed under a quarantine, order due to the worldwide pandemic of COVID-19. This caused the closure of schools, many businesses and lead to drastic changes to be made within the Fire District. In April, 2022 Fire Chief John Yocum resigned. A recommendation to promote Deputy Jared White to Fire Chief was approved.